December is approaching fast and Christmas parties are at the door, so it’s time to respond to the dreaded question “What do I do on Christmas and New Year?”
To help you, we want to give you five unmissable ideas to celebrate Christmas and New Year in Florence, which offers a wealth of activities, events and parties that will really spoil you for choice.
In December, Florence changes its appearance, dresses up for a party and is dressed in the very best way; lights, glittering shop windows and Christmas trees in the piazzas. In the streets of Florence, there’s an ever expanding magical, warm and inclusive atmosphere.
- We therefore suggest you take some time to simply go for a walk in the streets, maybe buy some Christmas presents in one of the many craft shops, and while you walk around, take a carton of roasted chestnuts (‘bruciate’ in Florentine) from one of the many vendors with their stoves that spread the smell of chestnuts in the streets in the centre.
- If you visit Florence during Christmas time don’t neglect going to the Christmas markets in Piazza Santa Croce, called Weihnachtsmarkt, which are exactly the same as those in the northern cities. Piazza Santa Croce is filled with wooden chalets selling handicrafts and food and wine products from Germany, Austria and Hungary.
- If you are a sportsman, and even at Christmas don’t want to neglect a bit of movement, then you must take advantage of the Winter Park that is set up in the ObiHall theatre park.
Here you will find the largest ice skating rink in Tuscany and the Snowtubing trail (a sloping ice-skating rink on which dinghies slide), unique in Italy. In short, a fun Christmas!
During New Year’s Eve, however, one is really embarrassed for choice, there are so many opportunities in Florence for all tastes and all ages …
- If you also want to live the city during the longest night of the year, you must spend your New Year’s Eve ‘in piazza’. There are plenty of piazzas in the city that adhere to this initiative and in each one you will find different concerts and events. You can choose one and spend your entire night there, or move around and go from a rock concert to a Gospel show.
- If you prefer to spend your new year inside, there are many choices. You can choose between a theatre or a disco for a livelier night.
The musical ‘Grease’ will be at Teatro Verdi, alternatively at the Maggio Musicale Fiorentino you can see an end of year concert. On the other hand, for a night out in the disco, you will be spoiled for choice. All the Florence discos will organize a New Year’s Eve party, so you can choose the one best suited to you.
One thing is for sure, that whatever you do for Christmas and New Year in Florence, the best solution is to stay at La Fonderia B&B. A short walk from the centre, in Borgo San Frediano, out of the chaos of the city, but still a few minutes from all the major tourist attractions.
It also has a small private garden that you can use to relax after the big holiday days.
La Fonderia B&B is waiting for you to experience a unique and unconventional Florence.